My Two Sons

When we first found out the news of Baby Mayfield #2, I naturally had the desire for a little girl.  We have Sawyer.  Now how wonderful to bless our home with pink and a few frills.  However, while reading from my Mother O'Mine poetry book, I ran across this particular poem that planted a seed of desire unlike any other.

My Two Sons
by Melody Carlson

My two sons,
I always wanted you.
Even when I was a little girl
Playing with baby dolls.
I clothed them and fed them,
Rocked them and sang a lullaby.
Thinking that one day,
I would have babes of my own.

And God gave me you,
My two sons.
And I clothed you and fed you,
I rocked you to sleep
And sang you a lullaby.
And it was wonderful.
I wanted it to last
Forever.

But quickly you grew older,
With sturdy legs and grinning faces.
And we made a sandbox,
Played with Legos.
And read stories.
We learned to ride bikes
And mended owies.
And you grew up.

Now you are young men.
Both over six feet tall,
With whiskers.
It feels like you don't
need me-very much.

And I have to let go.
And trust God to care for you,
But it's the hardest thing
I've ever done.

My two sons,
I always wanted you.
But now all I can do
Is watch and pray,
That you will let God
Clothe you, and feed you,
Rock you and sing you a lullaby.
And it will be wonderful.

We can't begin to imagine all the joy, laughter, lessons, tears, and smiles that we will embark upon with Sawyer and Benjamin!!  Thank you Lord for letting us be (soon to be) parents of 2 sons!  
Or should I say, 2.... for now!

No comments: