On the Journey with Cloth Diapers

Are we huge environmentalists avidly promoting Going Green? No. Not really.
After using cloth diapers, do we find the practice worth it? ABSOLUTELY! And here's why!

Disposable diapers, specifically Huggies and Pampers, are available in India. With the quantity and quality being less for a more expensive price, we really felt it would be best to try and save a buck (or should I say rupee)! Friends told us about a grant that is available for families living overseas through Cotton Babies. We applied for it and within just a few months the box of diapers were placed on my parents' doorstep just waiting to be opened! We received 15 diapers, 1 large and 1 small insert for each diaper, 2 extra inserts, 2 travel bags, wipes, and several cleaning items. A grand total of close to $350 worth! We felt so blessed!

Stop! If your mind is instantly picturing plastic covers, large pieces of cloth that have to be folded just right and lots, Lots, LOTS of safety pins, stop your mind from wandering! Cloth diapers are new and improved since we all wore them back in the day! We are talking velcro, snaps, and the design of a disposable in extremely soft materials.

No, I don't enjoy washing diapers everyday, but it doesn't take that long, and I even have to hang dry them! (We only go through half in one day!)
No, I don't enjoy touching urine and poo, but it really isn't that bad since it's my baby's!
No, I don't enjoy the smell, but guarantee it's not as bad as all the landfills full of nasty diapers!
Yes, I feel blessed because we are saving TONS of money on diapers!
Yes, I feel like I am making a little difference for the environment every time we re-stack the same diapers on the shelf.
Yes, we do use disposables when we are out and about for convenience and ease.

We would recommend them to anyone! Of course in reality, if you are a working mom and your baby-sitter is someone other than a family member, it obviously would be quite difficult. But other than that, we know anyone can do it! If you have or will decide against cloth diapers, will we hold it against you? Of course not. But if you are entertaining the thought at all, let us encourage you to take that leap of faith!

2 comments:

Preston,Courtney, Callie, Addison and Finn said...

This would be one of the many reasons I love you!! Keep up the great work.

Melissa said...

I find this fascinating. I would like to know how you clean them, but that wouldn't be a great blog post, so don't do it.